A good contract technical author is going to cost you at least £25-£30 per hour, so you’ll want to make sure you get value for your money. That’s where it pays to choose an experienced technical author with an impressive track record and qualifications in technical communication.
When I mention experience, I don’t mean experience in your industry; I mean experience as a technical author. Knowing about your products and industry can actually be a hinderance if your customers are non-technical people, as I recently discussed in a blog article (see How to choose a technical author). An author who knows their craft will understand how to use various technical writing tools, interview experts, research technical details, and structure documents. This knowledge will save you money as it means the writer will be able to work more efficiently and be better equipped to adapt to changes.
Craig Wright – Experienced Technical Writer at your Service
In the words of Ice T: “I ain’t new to this.” I’ve been working as a technical author for my entire career, which began way back in 1997. Back then, I was a fresh-faced technical communication graduate looking to work on online help systems. Today, I am a seasoned technical writer who has worked on online help systems, manuals, user guides, training documents, web sites and articles for a variety of companies.
Take a look at what I bring to your project:
- Understanding of technical communication principles and best practice (degree in Technical Communication, member of the ISTC)
- Experience of working in large multi-national companies, small UK companies, and start-up businesses
- Proven track record of working with authoring tools, including:
- MadCap Flare
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe FrameMaker
- Microsoft Word
- Atlassian Confluence
- Knowledge of SEO, CSS, HTML, and a little DITA (growing by the day)
- Professionalism. I have worked as an employee, freelance technical writer and contract technical author, so I don’t need micro-managing – just tell me what you need and I’ll get your documentation on the right track.
- Commitment to personal development. Even though I have been a technical writer for over 15 years, I don’t think I know it all. Technology doesn’t stand still, so there is always something new to learn. At the moment, I’m busy learning DITA.
Hire an Experienced Technical Author
For user guides and manuals that meet your customers’ needs, use language they understand, and enhance your brand and products, get in touch now. I can also create online help, wikis and other documentation.