Freelance Technical Writer in Sheffield, UK
Your customers expect documentation that is easy to understand, answers their questions, and helps them to get maximum benefits from your products and services. How are you going to deliver that? By hiring Craig Wright, an experienced freelance technical writer in Sheffield. Okay, technically, I’m not in Sheffield, I’m just down the road in Chesterfield, but let’s not split hairs about that. Not that I have many left to split!
Hire me as your technical author in Sheffield and I will make sure your end-user documentation:
- Connects with your customers
Effective content is so much more than ‘how to’ instructions. For your customers to get the most out of your products and services, they need to understand the bigger picture – they need to know when and why they should use features too. Anybody can write step-by-step instructions, but the real skill is to put them into context by explaining technical concepts using language and ideas that customers can relate to. That’s what I do best.
- Promotes your products, services and brand
If you look closely at user manuals and online help, you will often see documentation that says ‘This is feature X, this is what it does, this is how you use it’. Yawn. Take it from me, your documentation can be much better than that. Hire me as your technical author, and I will make sure your content reads ‘Your life is going to be so much easier with this great feature. This is how you use it to achieve great results’. That little bit of copywriting know-how really creates a more positive spin and makes your content more engaging. “But they have already bought the product, it doesn’t need selling” I hear you say. That’s true, but I’m not selling it, I’m reminding them that they have a great product on their hands – it creates brand loyalty and makes your content more engaging.
- Makes it easy for customers to find the information they need
If your customers can’t find the information they need quickly, they won’t use your documentation. Guess what happens then? They call your technical support. Over and over again. As an experienced technical communicator, I know how to structure content so that it is logical to customers and, with online help and PDFs, I can make sure your documentation is easy to search.
- Reduces on-going documentation costs by implementing re-usable content
Many technical writing tools, such as Flare and Confluence have features that allow content to be re-used. This means that a skilled technical writer, such as myself, can write a description or a task once, and re-use that exact same text over and over again. Why is this important? Because it can save you a lot of money in the long-term, as any updates to your content can be made in one place and they are automatically applied throughout. It requires some careful planning and wording, but can be very effective. With some products, it is also possible to have conditional text, where certain sentences will only appear to certain users.
- Is interesting!
Technical writing can be dry and dull, but by using copywriting techniques, I can make your content more engaging. (If a more minimalist approach is needed to reduce the cost of translation, that’s not a problem).
The end result is powerful documentation that meets your customers’ needs, and reduces the burden on your customer support. As I can write ‘topic-based’ content, your documentation will also be easier and cheaper to maintain, and I can create whatever type of documentation you need – user guides, online help, wiki pages, process documents, presentations, training material.
Experienced Technical Writer in Sheffield
Does it really matter if you hire an experienced technical writer? Speaking as someone who has worked with new writers and veterans, I can tell you that yes, it absolutely DOES matter. Technical communicators such as myself, who have been there and seen it all before, can really help you save time and money and make sure your documentation meets its potential.
But that’s not to say that any experienced technical writer is a good fit for your job. It is important that you choose a technical writer who understands the theory of technical communication, knows how to write content for the intended target audience, and knows how to use modern tools to create online help, user guides, videos, and wiki-articles. That’s why my particular background makes me a good choice for your documentation:
- 18+ years’ experience as a Technical Author and Copywriter.
- Creator of clear, concise and engaging online help, user guides, training material, marketing material.
- Based in Chesterfield, so no problem working as a technical writer in Sheffield
- BA in Technical Communication.
- Fellow of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators.
- Experience of working as a technical writer for software, hardware, and services.
- Industry-specific knowledge of SCADA, cooling, data centres, electrical stimulation devices, waste water works
- Certified Advanced Madcap Developer
- Success Works certified SEO copywriter, so qualified to create marketing too.
- Proven track record working for multi-national companies and UK businesses.
- Knowledge of various authoring tools, including MadCap Flare, Atlassian Confluence, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe InDesign, MS Word.
- Up-to-date knowledge and access to the opinions of fellow professionals (ISTC). Knowledge of technical communication practices and expertise in user assistance and content strategy.
- Ability to build relationships with subject matter experts. I’ve worked with all sorts, and have the people skills and humility to build relationships and make sure everyone is pulling in the same direction.
- Professionalism without being ‘corporate’.
- Reliability. Tell me what you need and who your experts are, and leave me to get on with it!
- Value for money. Previous clients have told me that my work is top notch, while my prices are lower than other technical writers that they have used.
Is your search for a “technical writer in Sheffield” finally over? Get in touch and let’s find out.
Hire a Technical Writer in Sheffield
If you would like to know more about my technical writing services, please get in touch using the form at the bottom of the page.