Craig Wright, Technical Writer
About Craig Wright
Technical Writer & Copywriter
Solving your documentation problems
Hello, I’m Craig Wright, a freelance technical writer and copywriter. I create online help systems, web pages, and user guides that help your customers understand your products.
I can help you if …
- You need documentation for your products and services
- You have documentation, but it isn’t connecting with customers
- You need someone to take over from another technical writer
- You need to help customers without the cost of customer support
- You lack the skills and time to create effective content
- You want your documentation to be easier to update
- You want to appeal to new customers.
But how do I make sure your content connects with your customers? What sort of businesses have I helped before and what authoring software do I use? Read on to find out.
Your documentation has to be accessible to your customers. They need to be able to find the information they need quickly, and it should take little effort to understand your ‘message’. That’s what I do for you – I take the technical information from your experts, figure out what your customers need, and then present the information in a relatable way. It’s not dumbing down, it’s making your content easier to use.
If you’re interested in how I create technical documentation, take a look at my technical writing process page. There, I explain the steps I go through to find out about your business, audience, and products and also the steps for planning and creating your content.
Lots of technical writers enter the profession from other careers and pick up the skills as they go along. I’m not one of those. I studied Technical Communication at university, and went straight into work as a technical writer. I’ve been a technical writer for over 20 years now, and you can benefit from my experience on a wide range of projects. I’l summarise the main ones below.
Technical Writing Projects
- SCADA software – online help and user guides. SCADA software is used in industry for monitoring and controlling systems and buildings. They use it in the gas, water, and oil industries.
- Free-air systems – user guides and online help for physical systems and software used for cooling data centres. Similar to SCADA systems, with IoT technology too.
- Financial software – online help for software used in the financial industry.
- Camera sync hardware – user guides and help articles for time sync devices used in the film and TV industry
- NHS out of hours service – online help system for out of hours doctors, receptionists, drivers, etc. Work procedures documentation.
- Blogs and web content for free-air cooling specialists
- Blogs, web content, video scripts for national scrap car network (recycling, disposal, etc.)
- Web content for stage illusionist
- Promotional copy for cycling-related devices
- Web copy for jewellery company
- Brochure copy for meeting room technology company
- Web copy for taxi company.
Some technical authoring tools are complicated to use. If you already use an advanced authoring tool, you’ll probably have a preference for hiring a writer who has experience of that tool. It makes sense, as the learning curve is going to be much less.
My favourite tools at the moment are Paligo and MadCap Flare. I’m a certified MadCap Flare user (v11) and I’ve been working in Paligo for over a year now. Paligo is pure XML (structured text), so if you work in DITA it won’t be such a leap for me to adapt to that.
For user guides, I can use Flare or Paligo, and I have also worked with Adobe InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker, and MS Word.
StrayGoat Writing Services Ltd.
Registered Business Number: 08029184
26 Wheatlands Road, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6RS. United Kingdom.
Tel: 07954141761 – please call 9-5 UK time only.
I am passionate about writing and have an interest in technology, but what else takes up my time? Well, I have two rescue dogs, so they need looking after. I’m a sucker for dogs.
To relax, I like gaming and watching TV shows, especially crime shows and Nordic Noir. Love football, but can’t play anymore (injuries and age!). Not so keen on the gym, but go regularly to compensate for sitting down writing for hours on end.
I’m here to help. Tell me what you need
Tell me about your documentation problems and I’ll try to solve them for you. I’m happy to start new projects or to help on projects that are already up and running.