Improve your Technical Documents
How do you know if your documentation isn’t working for your business? Some of the tell-tale signs are:
- High volume of calls to your customer support centre
- Customers calling with the same questions
- Customers complaining about missing or misleading information.
If your business has these problems, then there’s a good chance that your content isn’t connecting with your customers. That’s where my editing service can help. Think of it as first aid for your documentation.
I’ll Make Your Content User Friendly
I’ve been a technical writer since 1997 and have created lots of user guides, manuals, training documents, web pages, and online help systems. So I know what your customers need and expect from your documentation. That understanding is vital when it comes to editing your technical content.
Because I’m going to do more than just fix the grammar, spelling, and the English language of your content. I’m going to look at your documentation from the perspective of your customers, and make sure your content is accurate, pitched at the right level, has meaningful examples, and a clear structure. All so that your documents are more user-friendly.
Common Problems with Technical Documents
During my career, I’ve edited lots of technical documents, including manuals and help pages, and the same sort of problems crop up repeatedly. These ‘common’ problems are the first things I will look for in your content, and they include:
- Is the use of language appropriate for your customers? Is it too technical? Too formal?
- Does your content have a logical structure from your customer’s point of view?
- Is your content task-based or does it fall into the trap of being a product description?
- Are your descriptions incomplete or ambiguous?
- Do your sections contain suitable navigation?
- Can customers relate to your examples?
- Does your content guide your customer along the ‘user journey’ or does it just throw information at them?
- Is your content written in a way that allows it to be used in any order?
These are all common problems that can confuse customers and result in them abandoning your documentation. The good news is that I can fix these issues, and other problems that may be affecting your content.
The first step to making your documentation better is to get in touch. Click the button below and let me know about your project. I’ll get back to you a.s.a.p and we can discuss what needs to be done.
Let's Get your Content Started
Click the button below to get in touch.