Craig Wright, Technical Writer
Craig Wright – Technical writer and copywriter
First aid for documentation
How do you know if your documentation isn’t working for your business? Some of the tell-tale signs are:
- High volume of calls to your customer support centre
- Customers calling with the same questions
- Customers complaining about missing or misleading information.
If your business has these problems, then there’s a good chance that your content isn’t connecting with your customers. That’s where my editing service can help. Think of it as first aid for your documentation.
A fresh perspective can make a world of difference
Sometimes, even professional writers need a bit of help. When you’re too close to the content, it can be hard to step back and see where the problems are. But if you feel something is wrong, it’s important to take action and ask for a little help.
As an experienced technical writer, I have created lots of user guides, web pages, and articles. From training and experience, I know how to make sure documentation is well-structured and easy to use. So when you pass over your content, I’ll fix it by using the same process and principles that I use for my own writing. It’s not just correcting grammar and spelling – I’ll make sure your content is easy to use and understand.
During the editing process, I’ll consider:
- Is the use of language appropriate for your customers? Is it too technical? Too formal?
- Does your content have a logical structure from your customer’s point of view?
- Is your content task-based or does it fall into the trap of being a product description?
- Are your descriptions incomplete or ambiguous?
- Do your sections contain suitable navigation?
- Can customers relate to your examples?
- Does your content guide your customer along the ‘user journey’ or does it just throw information at them?
- Is your content written in a way that allows it to be used in any order?
These are all common problems that can confuse customers and result in them abandoning your documentation. The good news is that I can fix these issues, and other problems that may be affecting your content.