Online Help Technical Writer
Reduce your Support Costs with an Online Help Technical Writer
To reduce the cost of technical support, you need to help your customers to help themselves. One of the easiest ways to do this is to provide online help, or a customer support centre, that’s packed with user-friendly, accurate content. That’s where I can help you.
I have spent most of my career working as an online help technical writer. (I’ve been writing online help since 1997). So you can be confident that I know how to create user-friendly topics that help your customers to achieve their goals.
If you don’t already have online help, I can create one from scratch using MadCap Flare or Paligo (or other tools if you prefer). I can set up everything, from the look and feel of the interface to the stucture of your content. Obviously, I will also create your content, and I can also implement content reuse, which will save you money in the long-term.
What Can Online Help Do for Your Business?
There are so many benefits to having an online help system, but the first thing I should make clear is that online help doesn’t have to replace your print manuals and it doesn’t require much extra work. Topic-based authoring systems like Flare and Paligo mean I can write the content and use it for both PDFs and online pages pretty easily.
Once your content is written as topics, I arrange them into the structure that’s needed, and publish to PDF and/or HTML5 help. The PDF can be used for print and also presented online, but for online use, the HTML5 output delivers a better experience. Here’s how HTML5 online help will benefit your customers and boost your business:
- Available 24/7 to local and international customers
- Customers can search for terms, navigate menus, and follow hyperlinks, just like on a web site
- Online help can provide results for related terms – useful if customers use different terminology
- Topics can include text, images, video, sound
- Responsive design means your online help looks and works great on phones, tablets, and desktops
- Content reuse features make it easier and cheaper to update your content
- Topic-based content is easier for translation companies to manage
- Changes to the look and feel can be made easily and quickly with CSS stylesheets.
Hire Me to Write your Help
The whole purpose of your online help is to give your customers information so that they can resolve problems themselves, without calling your customer support. That’s only going to work if your online help delivers an excellent customer experience.
If you hire me as your online help technical writer, I’ll make sure that your content:
- Is easy to read and pitched at the right level for your customers.
- Reduces support costs. Customers will be able to find the answers they need, without having to call your tech support.
- Has a clear, logical structure.
- Can be searched, just like a regular web site.
- Is available on smartphones, tablets, and desktops.
- Includes contextual information (the why and when) and not just instructions (the how to).
- Has an appealing look and feel that matches your corporate brand.
- Promotes your products and services, where appropriate.
If I use a modern authoring tool such as Flare or Paligo to create your online help, I’ll also plan and implement a content reuse strategy. This will make it easier, quicker, and cheaper to update your content in the future.
If you’d like to know more about how I create interesting help pages, see my approach to writing topics page.
Remember, your customers experience your online help system in the same way that they experience your products and services. So it needs to provide the answers they need, using terms that they understand, and it should also create the right impression of your business.
Let's Get your Content Started
Click the button below to get in touch.